woensdag 16 september 2009

First structure Literature research

My goals for the literature research two things. First I want to study literature as a methodology for architecture. Tools like perspective, characters, time, description, detail, narrative, but also concepts like lived experience, creative writing, layout and poetry. With these tools and concepts a writers is capable of leading the reader to a world he designs and where the reader will live in it, finishing it. Words and more important narratives speak to a reader in a way that he understands, even feels the writer who he probably never met. Reading books and seeing what impression they leave at me makes me wonder how I can get the same achievements in architecture? Off course combining literature and architecture is already happening in contemporary architecture. Just thinking of the work of bernard tschumi, Peter Eisenman and John Hejduk. These architects already use literature, all on there own way, in there designs. To strengthen my point I plan and ad some case studies in the research part.

The second part of the research is to find a context for the building design for the Msc4. Right now I only have a idea for a building, but I don't have a context and location for it. I don't know how I'm going to do this yet. But I have some possibility to do this:
- Use one or more book to function as the basis for my design. Think of using a book like 'city of the blind' and use the location for my design.
- Use the narrative a book to design my building.
- Create my own narrative and location.
- Use an already existing location (not from a book).
- Use don't work with a location at ll, just design the building without context.

My research of the methodologies of literature combined with the case studies and the chosen location will be my framework for designing the blind institute in the Msc4.

1 opmerking:

  1. Ey Mike

    Just a quick reply on your topic here...Wait for the choice of location after you did the analyses..personally I would prefer an create a own fictive narrative and location, but I can imagine that this would take an awful lot of time..therefore option number one and two will do fine as well i asume..

    -MLP-

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen